Product Line Engineering Resources & Links
Analyst Reports, Articles, Videos, and Podcasts
Tech-Clarity: In this webinar, Michelle Boucher, Tech-Clarity's VP of Research for Engineering Software, joins BigLever CEO Dr. Charles Krueger to explore the need for a unified approach across three key disciplines: product line engineering (PLE) for managing product variation, application lifecycle management (ALM) for managing software-intensive systems, and product lifecycle management (PLM) for managing mechanically intensive systems and operations.
The webinar provides insight into how forward-thinking organizations are leveraging the combined strengths of PLE, ALM, and PLM to achieve whole factor improvements in efficiency, cost reduction, time-to-market, product line scalability and quality.
The Tech-Clarity Spotlight Article, authored by analyst Michelle Boucher, is a companion piece to the webinar. It provides an overview of the key issues and trends, strategic insights, research data, and recommendations addressed in the webinar.
- Webinar & Spotlight Article: Product Line Engineering – Increasing Competitive Advantage by Reducing Complexity Across the Lifecycle
Gartner: BigLever Software was named a "Cool Vendor" in the Cool Vendors in Product Design and Life Cycle Management 2015 report by Gartner, Inc. In this report, Gartner designated five companies that it considers to be innovative, intriguing and having an impact on the industry. [Gartner, "Cool Vendors in Product Design and Life Cycle Management 2015" by Marc Halpern, Janet Suleski, Rick Franzosa, April 8, 2015.] *
Ovum: As the leading provider of Product Line Engineering (PLE) solutions and services, BigLever has established its first foothold in the Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) world by collaborating with Aras to deliver the first commercially supported integration of PLE and Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) technologies.
This Opinion Report by Ovum Analyst Michael Azoff explores how BigLever's PLE/PLM integration solution, the Aras Innovator/BigLever Software Gears Bridge, is a breakthrough for the industry, in that it provides a template for how both disciplines can effectively complement each other.
- Ovum Analyst Report: Software is prompting integration of product line engineering and product lifecycle management
Lifecycle Insights: Chad Jackson, Principal Analyst for Lifecycle Insights, examines the complexities of creating, delivering, maintaining, and evolving a product line.
Jackson provides his perspective on Product Line Engineering and a new feature-based PLE approach for managing complexity across product platforms, families and variants – as well as across the lifecycle.
- Webshow Video: Perspectives With Lifecycle Insights – Product Line Engineering
- Perspectives Article
- Blog Article: BigLever Software – Third Leg to the Platform Design Stool?
Selected BigLever Articles, Newsletters, and Publications
The following resources provide an overview of new generation product line engineering (PLE) approaches, business and technical benefits, and other topics of interest:
- Article: Reuse is an Event. Sharing is a Journey.
- Newsletter: Product Line Engineering Meets Product Line Operations
- Newsletter: Product Line Engineering Takes Off in the Aerospace and Defense Sector
- Encyclopedia of Software Engineering: Systems and Software Product Line Engineering
- Systems and Software Variability Management: Second Generation Product Line Engineering - A Case Study at General Motors (Chapter 15)
Product Line Engineering Website
BigLever Software also supports the systems and software product line engineering community by producing and maintaining ProductLineEngineering.com.
This informational website provides a collection of resources and a comprehensive overview of basic PLE concepts, how PLE works, key PLE benefits, notable PLE success stories, and approaches for adopting PLE in your organization.
* Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.